Stanley Services Ltd
Tel: +500 22622

Current Time in Falklands Island

Fuel Prices October 2018:-

Domestic Fuel Prices

Product Pence Per Litre (FKP)
Diesel              62
Kerosene              72
Unleaded/leaded Petrol             100
LPG             137

Marine Gas Oil prices $985*(USD) per metric tonne

*Indication only please contact us for further details

Stanley Services Refurbish Naval 6inch Guns

The Naval 6inch Guns sited on Canopus Hill have had their Paint work refurbished for the first time in many years during the 3rd week of February 2003. The work was arranged by Stanley Services Ltd and carried out by employees of Forblast Ltd of Dufftown, Scotland, John Reid and Willie Youngson who were in the Islands on a Tank painting contract at Stanley Services Ltd Fuel terminal. Plant used in the task was donated by Neil Mckay & Co Ltd.

The work involved shot blasting away all rust possible and 100 years of coatings along with many Falkland autographs etched in over the years, they were then coated with primer and finished in Grey.

It was noted that one barrel was dated 1900 and the other 1902, this would correspond with launching of HMS Lancaster in 1902.

They are known locally as Canopus Guns which causes some historical confusion, the hill where they are now sited at Stanley Airport was named after HMS Canopus under the command of Captain Heathcote Grant which on 8th December 1914 was moored North and South at the east end of Stanley Harbour hidden from the sea and at 9.20am fired her 12inch guns on the unsuspecting approaching German ships, Gneisenau & Nurnberg who were surprised, the second salvo from Canopus at 11km range was close enough to splash Gneisenau, both ships promptly turned away to the South east before they could hit the Marconi Wireless station or Stanley and gave time for Admiral Sturdee’s fleet which had arrived in Port William the previous day time to get steam and anchors up safely to take up the pursuit.

The Guns arrived in the Islands in 1916 on HMS Lancaster, which was armed with 14 6inch guns with a maximum firing range of 10.2kms. Lancaster was a sister ship to HMS Kent whose heroic crew burnt all wood on board including the timber of her decks in action on 8th December and reached a speed of 24 knots and caught up with Nurnberg and after a two and half hour battle the German vessel was sunk with only seven survivors from her 400 man crew, during this time HMS Kent received 37 shell hits and suffered 12 wounded and 4 dead.

On arrival in the Islands, one of the Guns was sited at the east end of Mount Low and the other on Sappers Hill behind Stanley. In 1932 men from HMS Durban dragged the gun from its mountain site to Sparrow Cove, loaded it on a FIC lighter and brought it to Stanley, it was then unloaded and with 80 sailors, 50 Government employees and two PWD Morris lorries was taken to Sappers Hill, the whole operation having taken 14 days. The Captain of Durban wrote at the time, “it might have been an interesting spectacle to attract islanders, but only two small boys and a girl took some slight interest, you would have thought it an every day occurrence, truly a strange people living in a strange land”. The ships epitaph to the event read,

In everlasting memory
After many days and much suffering by land and sea,
this gun was laid here by HMS Durban November 1932 RIP.
Sparrow Cove has much improved since the Gun was removed
Which now stands on Sappers hill just as bloody useless still.
Alleluia!

One of the two guns next journey was in 1930’s when it was dragged again by hundreds of men and the PWD Morris lorries from Sappers Hill to its present site, the second unit was moved from Sappers Hill by 500 men of the West Yorkshire regiment in 1940’s. It has been told that they had to excavate 22 feet of peat out by buckets on a rope to prepare each foundation to mount them in the current site.

It is hope that the donation by the three Companies involved will help preserve these surviving parts of Falkland Naval history.